The Brave Boy and Therapeutic Clowns at CHEO (plus Mario photobombing)

Sunday 16 February 2020

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Ollie woke early for an exciting online chat with friend Henry and his family who are also early risers.

After the chat, despite his happiness at talking to friends, he was still not feeling great and was intermittently ill today. He is neutropenic (neutrophils only 0.2...below the 0.6 minimum to not be considered a major risk for infection), and the $3,000 Neulasta injection (most covered by private insurance, but more on drugs in another future post) that we gave him yesterday to boost his Neutrophils slowly and steadily has not yet worked.

We also had another first today. Hemoglobin and platelets were too low, so Ollie had his first blood transfusion. It was pretty emotional for me. 

I explained to Ollie that his body needed blood with more energy and some amazing person we don't even know cares enough about people like him that they generously gave their blood so he and others like him can get it. I've given blood many times in the past but never really thought too much about what it really means to those that need it. A simple thing that reproduces so easily and rapidly in our bodies and saves lives, yet takes so little time to give. Thank you to whomever you are O+ donor. It made a huge difference to us today and I'll never take for granted the importance of any donation I make or any of us receive again. It IS in you to give (blood.ca).


While being transfused, a volunteer from child life came in to paint with Ollie to distract him. Once upon a time in high school I was a candystriper volunteer at my local hospital. Now I am grateful to others for doing same for my family.
That apparently wasn't enough mess and fun for one day, so they made slime (in bed!) as well.
In the afternoon, my best friend and soul sister, Sonya and my favourite honorary nephew, Cole came to visit from Chatham and Kingston after buying out half the toy store.
I spent a lot of time with Cole and his sisters when they were little and it made my heart sing to see him spend special time with my son (his sister Carson sent a beautiful care package last week, too!) today as they bonded over a shared love of Lego. He also told me he's registered for the stem cell swabbing in hopes he can help Ollie. This is the beautiful cycle of love. His mother loved, nurtured and mentored me first. I adored her family and tried to do same for them whenever I could even after I moved far away. Now her children are loving mine. My heart could burst.
Unfortunately Ollie started feeling unwell when they left and dear friends Maria and Toni arrived to support and feed me (they are among the most generous women I know and I am so blessed that they are loving us). So as usual these two strong women fed me, comforted my son, encouraged and coaxed him to take medicine orally with me and cheered when his blood transfusion was complete.  I was so happy to have them here helping and celebrating every milestone with him.

Mario arrived at end of day after having to work today to catch up on a lot of work missed last week when Ollie demanded his presence so often. Naturally we've already used up all possible leave at work between pre-diagnosis testing and the last 3 months of chemo. So his employer is being flexible, but he still has to get the work done. It's a lot of pressure on him to work, hold down the fort at home for Abby and try to be there for Ollie and I, too. I married a very good man whose heart is enormous and would do ANYTHING for his family. He is a terrific father and partner.

Abuelita (grandma) also stopped by unexpectedly today with things to entice Ollie's appetite today.

It was an unexpectedly busy day and I think we overdid it, but it was lovely to see everyone. 

So he's sleeping now and I should be, too. Notice his very rosy cheeks, not from illness, but the blush of new and energized blood from another angel sent by God to help us. Bless him/her/them.

1 comment:

We appreciate your positive thoughts and comments about our journey. If preferred, you can send us a private message using the Contact Form on this page.

Keeping the Family Healthy During and Post Cancer

When Ollie was first diagnosed I had a terrible upper chest and sinus infection. Likely exacerbated from the stress of testing and diagnosis...