The Brave Boy and Therapeutic Clowns at CHEO (plus Mario photobombing)

Sunday 14 January 2024

Keeping the Family Healthy During and Post Cancer

When Ollie was first diagnosed I had a terrible upper chest and sinus infection. Likely exacerbated from the stress of testing and diagnosis. I'd had two rounds of antibiotics already that didn't work, including a bronchial puffer and oral antibiotics. When I heard he'd need to go into hospital for 12 days I was frantic that they wouldn't let me in because of this illness I couldn't get rid of. 

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart late one night in the week between us hearing he had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and later his specific diagnosis of Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (ALCL) and threw myself on the mercy of the young pharmacist there. I explained to her that I'd tried different antibiotics prescribed by doctors, but could not shake this and my actual desperation because I was about to be admitted with my 7 year old son for chemo and needed to keep him and the other kids at the hospital well. 

This kind and knowledgeable pharmacist started by compassionately telling me how sorry she was to great about my son and wishing us strength for the battle. Then she said, "Go to aisle 7 and find the Flonase nasal spray in the allergy section. It used to be a prescription antibiotic for sinus infections, but is now available over the counter as an allergy spray. It's very effective within days. Buy our genetic brand if it's cheaper as it is the same thing." Then she sent me off and wished me well. 
[Photo description: A new package of Flonase can always be found in my medicine cabinet now and works for allergies and sinus/respiratory infections]

That stuff cleared up whatever I had within a few days, but I took it the recommended course to be sure. I often send grateful prayers for that kind pharmacist and her knowledge. 

After that I knew the importance of staying well. During chemo, radiation and stem cell transplant any little bacteria or virus could have killed Ollie or another kid in treatment because with no neutrophils they could not fight infections. I could not live with the knowledge that one of us might do that to him.

Enter my dear friend from high school, now a registered Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Colleen McQuarrie at Ottawa Integrative Health Centre (OIHC). Colleen has treated me off and on for the past 20 years. She had seen Ollie professionally before we landed at CHEO for testing. I'd ask her to consult because his pediatricians were convinced that his bump was a bacterial infection, but antibiotics were not working. I needed a trusted opinion and she helped us out. She imparted to me that she did feel a mass was serious and that his pediatrician was not moving us fast enough to get us to CHEO. She was the one who told me that we needed an Ear Nose and Throat consult at CHEO and she walked me through how to get my own pediatrician's office to do this.

When she heard that Ollie was finally diagnosed with cancer, she reached out to support me and said she could put together a cocktail of supplements to keep me well and recommended a few for Abby and Mario, too (both who are also patients of hers). She then kindly left them at my house for me and wouldn't take any money, saying it was her contribution to getting us on the path to wellness. I have taken this combination since then and was not sick a single day in his 2 years of treatment and stem cell transplant recovery. 
[Photo description: Dawn's daily vitamins and supplements in 10 bottles.]

Here is what I have taken for 3 years now (a few additions along the way for other reasons noted):
- Women's multivitamins
- Probiotic - I take 10 billion, but there are many formats - to keep gut flora healthy to aid in immune system function
- Iron - 232 mg - I have often been anemic since since high school and especially when you cannot eat leafy greens easily in hospital, this is important
- Vitamin C - 500 mg - helps to absorb sewers of the other supplements and boosts immune system
- Magnesium Bisglycinate/Pure Elemental Magnesium - 200 mg - I started getting leg cramps in the night in hospital when my body was so stressed and this has helped to alleviate those. Ollie also took it for a period of time when the cramps in his legs were bad during the early days of taking his Lorlatinib
- Omega 3 - 1200 mg - I have taken this for 15 years to help with my joints and sciatica. Also good for my heart and brain
- Folic Acid - 1 mg - we added this when I decided to make it my goal to give blood every 84 days as women are allowed in Canada to pay it forward for all who are saving my son. The Folic Acid helps to reproduce healthy blood cells.
- Zinc - 50 mg - to boost immune system
- D3 - 1,000 IU - to boost immune system
- Turmeric/Curcumin - I began taking this daily 15 years ago for my sciatica as it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Helps for any aches and pains in the body and you get a lot sitting around and sleeping in a hospital.

Mario and Abby got sick only once with strep throat in February 2020 before COVID and making everywhere began and Abby was still in school. That was super stressful and they both isolated for 10 days because Ollie was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) with his first brain lapse.  After that they were way more careful, masking everywhere and taking daily supplements, too (although fewer than mine). Most important for everyone in the family is Vitamin D3, Zinc and a multivitamin. The cancer kid could only take D3 as others can mess up the absorption of their other cancer meds. 

Now that Ollie is 3.5 years in remission and his pediatrician is slowly retiring we have opted to have him see a Nurse Practitioner (NP) in a clinic that specializes in people who have or have had cancer. His new NP has so far impressed me with her comprehensive understanding of his medical history and her suggestions to continue to keep him well. For example, in addition to taking his D3 (which we bumped up to 2,500 mg daily) and a multi-vitamin now, she has added a K2 vitamin explaining that while the D3 helps him to absorb calcium, much of it still goes to waste due to inefficient absorption, so the K2 helps the calcium to go directly to his bones and help to strengthen then to improve his osteopenia (a result of long -term steroid use during treatment). 

She's also recommended that we add more Zinc as it helps with testosterone, which his endocrinology team is watching as he enters puberty. In addition she is recommending some options for a gentle detox of his liver which we are looking into. She also shared some evidence that the use of melatonin has anti-cancer benefits and was glad to hear that he had used it extensively during and after transplant as we worked to combat his lack of circadian rhythm due to not being able to see when it is daytime versus nighttime. 

While we are very grateful to Western medicine for ultimately saving our boy, we also believe that a combination of Western, and complimentary and alternative medicine generally reaps the best results and the healthiest people in the end. As we have shared in this blog before, Ollie had osteopathy treatments from our friend Elliot during chemo and regularly for the first two years after transplant. We are big proponents of massage therapy for any in the family that could benefit from the stress relief and know that CHEO was running a pilot last year where they were offering gentle massage on the oncology ward. Acupuncture has helped my own sciatica and related neuropathy in my leg and foot.

Always check with your own care team before taking any combination of supplements and vitamins, or using any complimentary or alternative therapies, but we hope that this may give you ideas to keep your family well through a cancer journey, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your positive thoughts and comments about our journey. If preferred, you can send us a private message using the Contact Form on this page.

Keeping the Family Healthy During and Post Cancer

When Ollie was first diagnosed I had a terrible upper chest and sinus infection. Likely exacerbated from the stress of testing and diagnosis...