The Brave Boy and Therapeutic Clowns at CHEO (plus Mario photobombing)

Friday 1 May 2020

Introducing Ollie's Pizza


When Ray Skaff from Gabriel Pizza called earlier this week after delivering pizzas all the way to Toronto and said they wanted to name a pizza after Ollie and give a donation to us or a charity of our choice for every one ordered, we were thrilled to suggest Candlelighters

They've helped us so much during our journey, especially when at the beginning we had no idea what the emotional and financial toll of Ollie's disease would be. 

As a former Executive Director of a not for profit charity, a former volunteer Board member and a former event fundraiser, I know very well what impact COVID-19 will have on Candlelighters and other local charities like them that do so much good. So this seemed a natural way to complete the giving circle. 

Jocelyn at Candlelighters at first seemed a bit shocked that we'd be willing to speak publicly about our agonizing journey and admit that we were being helped by Candlelighters. They are very careful to protect the identity of their members and that's comforting, but I am not ashamed to say that we needed help, and that they helped us and continue to. I told her that while normally I am a giver and have never been on the receiving end before, I have two brilliant friends who are social workers who insisted we take all support offered and not feel ashamed. They assured me that I give all of the time, now I need to take and my turn to give back again will come. This is my preliminary way of doing that with more to come when we've kicked cancer's butt and I'm back to full salary again.

We have been shocked by the uptake of this initiative already! I guess at a time when people so desperately need good news, it is a heartwarming story. It is one we're grateful to share if we can help others, but wish this disease was never part of our story.

Obviously Ollie is my first priority, but as long as he is stable and I can promote the fundraiser and awareness of childhood cancers such as his very rare Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma, I will. 

So I've been delighted to share this all over social media and do a few media interviews. A few more have asked me to do an interview next week and if I am able I will.

We were the story on "All the Feels" on Majic 100 earlier this week. The kids were pretty impressed since we usually listen to it in the car on the way to school (and I often cry). 

Then there was the CTV News piece where we were the "On the Bright Side" story.

Even Mayor Jim Watson was sharing the news today!


This afternoon into this evening, so many friends and even perfect strangers started buying them and tagging us in their photos. Honestly Mario and I were both in tears reading your posts. It's not just pizza...it's kindness, support and love at a time when we so desperately need it. 

Then this happened...

And that made me cry more because at a time when we know people are stressed emotionally and often financially due to the pandemic, you're still wanting to help other families like ours. 

Keep buying those pizzas as every bite fights childhood cancer. What a delicious impact! 

Hint from my friend Trish...you can order it without the olives!  And my friend Jarrett says you can order it and even have them add a few ingredients, too! 

So kudos, Ottawa. You've shown up, loved us and made us miss you more. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome Ollie! You have your own pizza!!! I am going to try it as soon as I am back in Ottawa!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your positive thoughts and comments about our journey. If preferred, you can send us a private message using the Contact Form on this page.

Keeping the Family Healthy During and Post Cancer

When Ollie was first diagnosed I had a terrible upper chest and sinus infection. Likely exacerbated from the stress of testing and diagnosis...