The Brave Boy and Therapeutic Clowns at CHEO (plus Mario photobombing)

Monday 16 December 2019

Hail Mary and Learning About Lymphoma

This little dabbing elf is home and doing really well as we rest and wait for round 2.

It has been a quiet and uneventful few days. We had a quick visit to CHEO Friday followed by a dash in to Walmart with Ollie wearing mask and gloves to avoid exposure to viruses. All so he could be a normal kid and choose a few new Beyblades with Christmas money received. This is our new reality. We are unable to take him into highly populated public places where he might get a minor cold or flu bug that for anyone else would be uncomfortable, but for him could land him in a serious illness with isolation in hospital because the chemo is killing his immune system. So many kind friends have offered to bring their little ones over to play and it breaks my heart to have to explain that we can't risk the exposure to kids we all love and miss playing with. Please don't forget about us, because Ollie will be back to play as soon as cancer has been kicked out. To this 
end, his teacher Mrs. Didiomete kindly pointed out to him in a recent online video chat with the class that he is still part of the class and they have kept his desk there to remind them everyday. My eyes are leaking...😭

So for the meantime we are trying to make some new friends at the hospital who are in the same situation and through activities such as Kids Kicking Cancer, a martial arts program for kids with cancer, which Ollie is eager to try this week. 

Abby is dealing pretty well, but has found it tough sometimes to explain to kids that cancer doesn't automatically mean that her brother is dying. The kids are empathetic, very well meaning and truthful about their thoughts, not realizing how tough that might be for her to hear. Fortunately, our Interlink.Nurse from CHEO went into the school today to Abby and Ollie's classes to talk about lymphoma and to allow kids to ask their questions. He explained that Ollie's cancer is highly treatable and he is expected to come back next year and what friends can do to help keep Abby and by extension Ollie safe as he goes through treatments.

It takes me back to Abby's grade 1 class where another St. G family (whom we are grateful to know) had done the same when their son had leukemia and Abby was in his sister's class. It was the first I had heard of their battle and it touched me deeply. This family bravely fought and won their battle with leukemia and have been supportive of us on our journey. I remember asking the mom after they kicked it how you do it when it's your child and she told me you just do because there is no other option and you find strength you never thought you had. She was totally right. They give us hope and understanding at a time when we are often unsure and we are very grateful to them.

I am also learning a lot about Lymphoma. I never imagined I'd be so interested in blood counts, test results and medical procedures. Change forces us to learn new things and grow in ways we never expected. 

Last night Abby's choir sang in an Advent Caroling event that our parish puts on. 
The St. G Performance Choir (including Abby) in the Advent Caroling event at St. G church.

Abby made her debut doing a reading at church. As I sat there watching her read I was so proud of her and then overwhelmed with emotion that she is handling everything with such grace publicly for one so young. She has had her completely justified moments melting down over all of this, but mostly she's just stepped up to be a better sister and daughter over the last weeks. 

All of the readings were about the coming of Jesus at Christmas. Naturally, Mary as his mother features heavily in these stories. I've never felt so drawn to her as I have in recent weeks. Even as a person of faith I marvel that she agreed to bear God's son, knowing full well that He was the savior and would one day be sacrificed to save the world from sin. 

I have prayed to Mary as a mother in these last weeks, asking her to give me strength to bear all of this. One night after Ollie's bone marrow puncture when he was in a lot of pain, Mario (who believes, but is not very religious) even suggested we all.pray the Hail Mary together and she carried us all through the pain. She is sending me her strength in ways I never imagined. I know in my heart that God is good and will save my son with the help of medicine. I have faith that He loves me and understands that as a mother I cannot accept anything other than a full recovery and a beautiful life for him after this. This feels like a test for all of us, but fortunately I've always been an excellent student and aced tests and I'm not about to fail now. 😁 

Mario is stoic as always. He has moments of emotion when friends make overwhelmingly kind and unexpected gestures to help our family. He is the strongest teddy bear around. 

Overall we are all doing pretty well, all things considered. We're resting up and trying to enjoy every moment of being home together to help us get through the next round. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.









1 comment:

We appreciate your positive thoughts and comments about our journey. If preferred, you can send us a private message using the Contact Form on this page.

Keeping the Family Healthy During and Post Cancer

When Ollie was first diagnosed I had a terrible upper chest and sinus infection. Likely exacerbated from the stress of testing and diagnosis...